Alain de Botton: Ten Virtues for the Modern Age
“1. Resilience. Keeping going even when things are looking dark; accepting that reversals are normal; remembering that human nature is, in the end, tough. Not frightening others with your fears.
2. Empathy. The capacity to connect imaginatively with the sufferings and unique experiences of another person. The courage to become someone else and look back at yourself with honesty.
3. Patience. We lose our temper because we believe that things should be perfect. We’ve grown so good in some areas (putting men on the moon etc.), we’re ever less able to deal with things that still insist on going wrong; like traffic, government, other people… We should grow calmer and more forgiving by getting more realistic about how things actually tend to go.
4. Sacrifice. We’re hardwired to seek our own advantage but also have a miraculous ability, very occasionally, to forego our own satisfactions in the name of someone or something else. We won’t ever manage to raise a family, love someone else or save the planet if we don’t keep up with the art of sacrifice.
5. Politeness. Politeness has a bad name. We often assume it’s about being ‘fake’ (which is meant to be bad) as opposed to ‘really ourselves’ (which is meant to be good). However, given what we’re really like deep down, we should spare others too much exposure to our deeper selves. We need to learn manners, which aren’t evil - they are the necessary internal rules of civilisation. Politeness is very linked to tolerance, the capacity to live alongside people whom one will never agree with, but at the same time, can’t avoid.
6. Humour. Seeing the funny sides of situations and of oneself doesn’t sound very serious, but it is integral to wisdom, because it’s a sign that one is able to put a benevolent finger on the gap between what we want to happen and what life can actually provide; what we dream of being and what we actually are, what we hope other people will be like and what they are actually like. Like anger, humour springs from disappointment, but it’s disappointment optimally channelled. It’s one of the best things we can do with our sadness.
7. Self-awareness. To know oneself is to try not to blame others for one’s troubles and moods; to have a sense of what’s going on inside oneself, and what actually belongs to the world.
8. Forgiveness. Forgiveness means a long memory of all the times when we wouldn’t have got through life without someone cutting us some slack. It’s recognising that living with others isn’t possible without excusing errors.
9. Hope. The way the world is now is only a pale shadow of what it could one day be. We’re still only at the beginning of history. As you get older, despair becomes far easier, almost reflex (whereas in adolescence, it was still cool and adventurous). Pessimism isn’t necessarily deep, nor optimism shallow.
10. Confidence. The greatest projects and schemes die for no grander reasons than that we don’t dare. Confidence isn’t arrogance, it’s based on a constant awareness of how short life is and how little we ultimately lose from risking everything.”
- darbleynostam likes this
- randomizedred likes this
- thecoldest likes this
- whyisthishappening reblogged this from noelanthony
- whyisthishappening likes this
- hcstritz likes this
- eatingclouds likes this
- ignitestrengths likes this
- noelanthony reblogged this from kateoplis
- mrmoo8 likes this
- itsdifferenttowhatyouthink reblogged this from kateoplis
- kuatdriveyards likes this
- mebeinginspired likes this
- ogramada likes this
- pleasuringcharm likes this
- loveandpleasure reblogged this from theantidote
- simdragon101 likes this
- freshbuttsecks reblogged this from namalam
- namalam reblogged this from graceandcompany
- itsokblackheart reblogged this from kateoplis
- graceandcompany reblogged this from veyabrelapuerta and added:
- darsansrajah reblogged this from thatkief
- noelanthony likes this
- appledontfallfarfromthetree likes this
- hitchcockismyhomeboy reblogged this from girlwithcurlsandglasses and added:
- girlwithcurlsandglasses reblogged this from kateoplis and added:
- jesterinthedeck likes this
- killyourowndarlings likes this
- francelkie reblogged this from kateoplis
- green-mantra likes this
- cultivatinggrace reblogged this from kateoplis
- secondsminuteshours likes this
- mycognitivebehaviour reblogged this from crawllover
- mycognitivebehaviour likes this
- seldomwiththesoul likes this
- iamxingjang reblogged this from kateoplis
- reirvamos reblogged this from kateoplis
- dishabillic likes this
- athleticsoul reblogged this from slow-motion-triathlete
- cannedcoelacanth reblogged this from arcanelegacy
- ralfschwartz likes this
- haywil reblogged this from quequotes
- quequotes reblogged this from haywil
- cannedcoelacanth likes this
- strange-and-amazing likes this
- arcanelegacy reblogged this from kateoplis
- spectacularful likes this
- menstrualrage likes this
- a-visual-symphony reblogged this from kateoplis